What Changes for a New Christian?

I have often been asked by those who have not yet come to faith in Christ, "What happens when a person becomes a believer in Jesus?"  This is a reasonable question because the fact is when a person becomes a Christian some things will and do change.  A person might wonder if these are changes a person has to make as a result of becoming a Christian?  The answer to that question is emphatically, NO!

Let me explain why.  The Scripture says that when:

"a person is in Christ, he is a new creation, old things are passed away, behold all things become new."  (Rom 5:17)

That simply means that a Christian possesses the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.  The presence of God in your life produces in you desires that were not previously there.  Let me give you an example.  One time a little girl was asked the difference since she became a Christian.  She said,  "All I know is that before I knew Jesus I ran toward sin, but now I run from it!"

That's a pretty good analogy.  But here are some actual things that a Christian will recognize in their life that were not present before they knew Christ.

First, like that little girl who knew Jesus, you too will have a new attitude toward sin.  Sinful bahavior that was once a source of enjoyment or pleasure will no longer be pleasurable or enjoyable like before.  Habits that were so ingrained that you never even gave them a second thought will likely become something in which you become keenly aware as sinful.

Secondly, you will have a new attitude toward the Scripture.  Jesus said,

"Man shall not live by bread alone"

The fact is when I became a believer I almost instinctively wanted to devour the Word of God.  Ever been hungry around hot bread and butter?  Wow!  What once was a book on a shelf became to me the needed nutrition I spiritually craved!

Third, a new believer has a new attitude toward the Savior Himself.  Before I knew the Lord, I thought Jesus Christ was simply an expletive.  After becoming a Christian I not only understood the truth of who Jesus was, but what He had done for me.  I not only loved Him back, as God Himself, I wanted to worship and serve Him.  Before I served myself, my world, and what I wanted, but now that was different.

In our next blog, I will share three more things that change for every believer in Jesus Christ.



Comments

Popular Posts

Grow Spiritually This Summer!

What is God Doing?

It has been Written...............