Waiting on God

One of the most difficult things to do as a Christian is to wait.......on God.  There have been innumerable times in my own life when I prayed and wanted something from God, and no matter how often I prayed or how convinced I was regarding the importance of something, the Lord appeared to be unconcerned with my need.   At least, that's what I thought.

But little did I know that my plans and desires were not God's but were actually limited in scope and in terms of what God actually wanted to accomplish in my life.  In the end, we always regret impatience with God's timing.  The Psalmist declared in Ps. 130:5,

I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.

There have been times when I had asked the Lord for perfectly good things.  I have prayed for children, houses, cars, jobs, checks in the mail, etc etc. In each case I believed that my need was far more urgent than it actually was.  Do you know what happens when we believe that?  We can get way ahead of God.  Often-times we will make bad decisions which may affect us for months or even years.

The only solution for avoiding spiritual calamity is having patience.....and that means waiting.  Again the Psalmist says,

And now, Lord, for what do I wait?  My hope is in You.

Did you notice that the Psalmist didn't say, "Lord, right now I'm waiting on you to deliver the goods!"  He confirms that his real hope is in God alone, not some temporal thing!  Let me ask you a question.  Are you waiting on God to supply a genuine need in your life?   Have you been praying for a particular need for your family or yourself?  If so, remember the perspective of the Psalmist.  His focus was on one of two things as he waited on God's answer.  The first was God's Word and the second was God Himself.

But there is one other problem that can come up while we are waiting on God, and that is making the mistake of envying the success of others while we are in the process of waiting on God.  The Psalmist confessed this possibility when he said,

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way.

Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself or your situation with others as you wait for God's response to your need.  Why?  Because that offers nothing to you or your need!  It will only take your eyes off God and onto someone else!  Remember, any answer we seek that isn't grounded in either the Word of God or God's person is not any answer at all!  Don't allow yourself to be distracted!

Simply wait on God!  God promises that you will never regret God's response to you or the results He holds for your life.


Comments

Popular Posts

Grow Spiritually This Summer!

What is God Doing?

It has been Written...............